Despite 2012 being the best year of auto sales this country has seen since 2007, not every vehicle got an equally large share of the sales pie. Some barely got a sliver, as evidenced by this year's list of the top 10 worst-selling vehicles of 2012.
We've dug through sales data from every automaker to come up with this year's list and, like last year, we've set some parameters to ensure it includes legitimately bad-selling vehicles.
The first parameter is a starting MSRP under $100,000, which automatically excludes what's parked in most one-percenters' garages. We're also excluding vehicles cancelled in 2012, even if they garnered sales through the end of the year while dealerships sold off remaining inventory. This includes models like the Mitsubishi Eclipse, Mercedes-Benz R-Class and last year's worst-seller, the Acura RL. Next, vehicles are considered as they are reported by the automaker, which means that, while sales of the Murano CrossCabriolet were probably low enough to make the list, because Nissan reports only one number for all Murano sales, it was excluded. Cadillac, however, reports sales of the Escalade EXT separately from the Escalade, hence its repeat appearance.
Finally, there was the question of whether or not eligibility should be given to Suzuki vehicles, as the brand announced in November that it would end sales in the US as soon as its current inventory ran out. We decided Suzuki vehicles should be included as the brand was offering 2013 models at the time of the announcement, and as far as we can tell, inventory levels remained high enough to satisfy demand through the end of the year.
Top 10 Worst-Selling Vehicles of 2012
10. BMW Z4 MSRP: $47,350 Units Sold: 2,751 Last Year: –
9. Volvo C30 MSRP: $25,500 Units Sold: 2,827 Last Year: –
8. Audi TT MSRP: $27,270 Units Sold: 2,226 Last Year: –
7. Subaru Tribeca MSRP: $32,595 Units Sold: 2,075 Last Year: 10
6. Suzuki Equator MSRP: $19,449 Units Sold: 1,966 Last Year: 7
5. Cadillac Escalade EXT MSRP: $63,060 Units Sold: 1,934 Last Year: 6
4. Nissan GT-R MSRP: $96,820 Units Sold: 1,188 Last Year: –
3. Acura ZDX MSRP: $50,920 Units Sold: 775 Last Year: 4
2. Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback MSRP: $18,495 Units Sold: 702 Last Year: 3
1. Mitsubishi i-MiEV MSRP: $29,125 Units Sold: 588 Last Year: 1
News Source: autoblog.com
This story posted by LeaseTrader.com, the automotive service company that lets people transfer out of their Car Leases early. If you're looking to swap a lease or transfer out of your car lease, please visit www.leasetrader.com
3/10/2014 11:45:51 PM
Copyright © 2014 LeaseTrader.com. All right reserved.